Friday, February 15, 2008

Living the Good Life

Well, I am not quite sure what I want to talk about right now. It has been awhile and a lot has happened so I suppose we weill just see where this goes.

So first things first, I have a girlfriend! Girlfriend might be understating it... I have someone who I care about a bunch and who improves me each day. So I suppose I should write the whole story...

So on Jan 26 I had a date lined up for that night. Fortunately (normally this is a case where you would say unfortunately) my date could not go to the second half of the planned date. This sent me into scramble mode to try and find someone immediately! So I went over to Gabe's and we scavenged through the ward directory, me being a determined vulture, Gabe being my voice of reason (STEEEEOOOOOORRRRTTTTSSSSSSS, Newman...) hahaha. So any my rush through the ward directory I noticed a girl that I had never seen before, who has requested to remain nameless at the moment. I will refer to her as Bella. Bella was really pretty and I made it a mental note to find out who she was. I continued that day, finding a date and having a good time with each of the two people.

The next sunday, I saw Bella again! She was walking to church and looked really pretty! I told her that I liked her shoes. I had done it!! I talked to this girl from the ward directory, and upgraded myself from a mystery to her, to someone she may have had a vague recollection of! Watch out world!

That night, I think I stalked her into a couple different apartments during munch and mingle. Then I talked to her again! Yes!! She told me about how she worked at BYU in their study abroad department. She also talked about how she was taking the GMAT this week and was a little nervous. I offered my services to her, and dropped off some ice cream during the week, and wished her well on her test.

(I think I should add a disclaimer that I still have a lot to type and things might be a little mushy from here on out.)

The following Saturday rolled around and Barney, Keith, and I were watching sports all day. Literally, we watched the BYU basketball game and then went to cafe rio so we could watch the Jazz game that night as well. We decided that we should go on a group date that night with our roomates and Gabe. I immediately wanted to ask out Bella, and called her on the phone.
The transcript over the phone is as follows.
Adam: Hi is Bella there?
Bella: This is her.
Adam: Hi, it's me Adam Murphy (I adopted this tactic from you James, stating your first and last names immediately after calling someone minimizes the chance that they will mistake you for someone else, or even worse not associate you with anyone they know.)
how are you?
Bella: I am good.
Adam: to myself in the back of my head this is where we are supposed to ask her out.
YOU want to go to the movies with us?
Bella: Yes, (at this point I can't remember anything that she said, I just remember being relieved and excited.)

Soooo we went and saw the Golden Compass, which has been covered extensively in my peers' blogs. And we just have gone from there! I held her hand Tuesday February 5 and we have been official as of Sunday February 10. I am way pleased with where things are. I don't want to get too personal or anything but I did want to share one experience I really thought was cool.

So Wednesday I had to go to work and supervise intramural tennis. Usually this is one of the easiest jobs on campus I can imagine. It takes about five minutes per hour, during which I make one check mark and write the names of the winners down on a single sheet of paper. During the down time I can study at my own leisure and really do whatever. Sounds easy eh? Will when I got there at six o'clock on Wednesday, the courts were all being used by the Boise State women;s team. After a lot of confusin and about 30 phone calls I had to cancel the matches that had been scheduled and explain to the sixteen couples that they wouldnt be able to play today. Most of the people were very understanding, a few made it a little more stressful, and I jsut wanted it ot be over. I just thought about seeing Bella that night and I felt way more relaxed. The night was hectic all night and I just needed a break. Well Bella, k I am tired of typing bella, SHANNON picked me up from work and we spent the remainder of the night watching Nacho Libre!! It was sweet! Just what I needed. I was way grateful for someone that I could just count on to keep me calm. It is such a blessing to have someone that can take away all the stress from your life. It is refreshing to be with someone that you can improve yourself with. Just one more thing and I swear I'll be done. I just wanted to follow up with my very first blogs, talking about communication. Shannon is easily the easiest person to talk to after only knowing her such a shortwhile. I think that is the biggest area in which I have seen improvement already is communciation.

Well that was a bunch and I still haven't updated too much on life itself. I apologize for being one dimensional but it is time for bed!

3 comments:

Gabe said...

I think I am confused again Adam. Does Shannon know about Bella? Wait... how many girlfriends do you have? And... none of them is a pregnant girl right?

Crap... I think I really screwed this one up. Good luck with your girlfriends man.

Keith said...

lol "SHANNON"

James L. A. 2 said...

I really liked the warning you gave in the middle. When I saw it, I steeled myself in preparation for what I thought could be hard to get through. It was actually quite easy to read and well worth it (the little nugget of information that finally reveals Bella's identity alone would have made it worth it. Great post. I'm very excited for you and you know who (or, at least, I presume you know who, I echo arkangel's sentiments).

Also, I'm flattered that you've adopted my technique of using your first and last name. The best scientists get cited often. I count this as a citation. You know, I was worried that you were going to write that you were using my technique for the part of the call where you actually ask them out. That could've really changed the trajectory of the story. (archiblog's technique: "I will be doing X on day Y. Will you go with me as my date?" (girl responds affirmatively) "Alright! I am confident that you have made the right decision. (make arrangements)"